I started the blog to give me an easy way to share pictures and stories with friends and family. A year later, it has become more than I ever expected. Here's how:
- I've made "blog friends" who I have never met, but feel like I have. I've reconnected with old friends who have blogs. And tricked lots of current friends into starting blogs. Basically, I love to snoop in other people's lives and I'm pretty sure having a blog is like a free pass to stick my nose in other people's business. (Those hyperlinks are my blogiversary gift to you. Sorry if I forgot you. But I'm paying by for internet by the hour here.)
- I started RV Designs with Victoria. I never would have thought I would love blog design/html code so much. We are having a lot of fun and taking ourselves a little too seriously. But we are about 1/4 of the way to having enough money to buy ourselves new laptops--not too shabby!
- I've gotten some great advice. When I've had trouble getting Finley to eat/sleep or needed help picking out music for marathon running, the blog has been there. I've been so appreciative of all the comments, emails and messages from friends. Really, every time I get an email telling me there is a new comment, I just get so excited.
- I have a fantastic record of Finley's first year. Just today Sol said, "I'm glad you've been blogging about our life." And really, the blog is just a great reference for helping me remember stuff that I would forget otherwise. I honestly wish I had started it sooner! I know the blog is not always interesting, so thanks for sticking around! I promise that sometimes I will write about awesome stuff.
- I have a captive audience forced to listen to me ramble about my love for the 50mm lens, the Garmin, and all things Google. The number of people who I have convinced to buy that lens and GPS makes me feel like I am doing my part to help the economy rebound.
- It has turned me into a better photographer (I hope). If you cruise back in time, I think I am getting better. Proof: self-portrait while riding a bike. Plus, I look slightly crazy. Only a truly gifted photographer could do that.
So, really, this blogiversary is dedicated to you, friend/stalker/random googler, and to me. I hope that you have enjoyed the journey as much as I have.
And if you now realize you can't wait another minute to have a blog of your own, let us know and we'll hook you up.