Thursday, April 14

Braden's Birthday

Mostly for my own sake, I need to write down what happened on April 12 so that I don't forget. It's only been three months. It's about time.

We checked into the hospital at 6 AM and it took awhile for things to get going.  The Pitocin finally started at 8 and I had light contractions for awhile.  My doctor came by to check on me around 10 and said he'd be back around noon to break my water.  I think my doctor had patients to see to until lunch, so he was trying to delay my labor a bit.  With Finley, he broke my water much earlier and Finley came a lot faster.

We passed the time playing Words With Friends and playing games on the iPad.  (I'm not a very creative opponent when I'm in huge amounts of pain.)

I was hoping the process would be as short as it was with Finley--but with the later breaking of water it was getting a little drawn out, so I went ahead and got my pal the Epidural.  (Sidenote:  the anesthesiologist told me I have a crooked spine and I should probably not run.  Also I spelled anesthesiologist right on my first try.)  Things got better after the epidural... for a bit.

Similar to with Finley's birth, my epidural stopped working and it became very painful, very fast.  My Pitocin was cranked up high enough that I was having one giant contraction with no breaks between.  I let my nurse know that the epidural wasn't working and was told that she'd give it a few more minutes before calling to see if they could give me more.  And then I almost died of pain, so she gave me more right away.

At that point, we determined it was time to push that sucker out.  Everything happened super fast because Braden was really ready then.  I pushed three times (which is considerably less than the 45 minutes of pushing with Finley) and he popped out at 2:25 pm.

They put him on my chest right away and he was slimy and yucky and so cute.  And big.  I was shocked right away with how big he was!  And even more shocked when they reported back that he was 8lbs 12 oz and 23 inches.  They measured him several times because they couldn't believe it. He got a 9 and a 10 on his APGAR, setting the bar very high for the rest of his testing career.  We have big expectations for you, little boy.

Victoria brought two of my favorite things, Finley and Chick-fil-a, to the hospital to meet Braden.  Much like with Finley, we had a hard time officially naming the little tot.  And in true Rach and Vic fashion, Vic read his name on her phone on her way up to meet him.  Finley hung out with us for a bit, and was mildly interested in Braden.  He was very interested in climbing around the room and the toolset his brother got him.

We were discharged the next day and went home to try to be a family of four.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A comment? For me? You shouldn't have. But please do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...