I'm taking a short break from Pi Day festivities to share some fun π facts with you.
- Visit Google to see their Pi logo for the day.
- In 1897, Indiana almost passed a bill that made π = 3.2.
- A good estimate of π is 22/7.
- Middle school students are very impressed that I know this much of π: 3.1415926. And that is pretty lousy by math teacher standards.
- Alison likes to sing me a song about π. (Please post it in the comments, Al!)
- My favorite math fact is that e ^ (i*π) + 1 = 0. It's proof that God exists.
- Do you know what π is? It is the very special constant that occurs when you divide the circumference by the diameter of every circle.
- Mr. Boast, my high school math teacher, wore lots of π shirts... Pumpkin Pie, Pie in the Sky... and I thought they were cool.
- Akira Haraguchi took 16 hours to recite 100,000 digits of π. From memory.
(This post was posted as close to official Pi time as I could get... March 14 at 1:59 PM.